I've been terrible at updating this blog, but that is honestly because I am out training, rehearsing, creating, and performing at all hours. I legitimately forget to update this, especially since Facebook & Instagram are the quickest ways to interact and disseminate information. So, my apologies, but also please go ahead & follow me on social media if you want to know the latest when I post it. :-D
Book of Face and such: facebook.com/KineticKristen
Insta-selfies, videos, and other random things: instagram.com/kinetickristen
The news, though! I am still a featured performer at Skull's Rainbow Room in Printer's Alley (downtown Nashville). We went through a big change, and have rebranded as weekend destination entertainment as Alley Cat Cabaret with shows Thursday through Sunday. For a circus gal who dabbled in burlesque, it has been a learning experience in truly melding burlesque with my circus training and raw rock 'n' roll leanings for a typically non-burlesque-inducted audience. If you are in Nashville any point, come see our shows - show postings are made via our Instagram: Alley Cat Cabaret
Teaching-wise, I made the decision to go solely to private lessons and workshops. This way, I can hone in on what my students want to learn and the best way to teach each one of them. Lessons in Nashville are held at Soulace (my "home" for training when in town!) and can be scheduled by emailing me, so click here to do so!
The 2018 Road So Far (Supernatural reference, and in no particular order):
* Smoky Mountain Burlesque Fest: Returned for the third year! I performed version 4.0 of "Midnight Messages," my Cyr wheel burlesque act. Originally created as part of my graduation from New England Center for Circus Arts. Back then, there was no striptease in it, and it was mostly character and hair whips. Now....well, here's a teaser photo from the show:
I know this looks like it is all character and hair whips (trust me, I kept that part), but there are tricks in there I never thought I would get. And there are others that will be slipped into the act as it evolves! I'm so happy to know this is an act that will stay and grow with me as a performer.
* Fort Worth Wild West Burlesque: I returned to Ft. Worth, TX to perform a *new* Cyr wheel act for the Southern Comforts show. I took it a bit out of my norm, and used Chris Stapleton's "Tennessee Whiskey" to craft a cocktail of circus, burlesque, and a bit of a love note to my home state and a certain someone in it. Video and photos of that act will be shared soon!
* New England Center for Circus Arts: Returned to my circus alma mater to train Cyr, Cyr, and more Cyr. For three straight weeks, it rained almost every day and I was in the studio using that time to refine the aforementioned "Tennessee Whiskey" act, contemplate the "Midnight Messages" act and the choreography evolution, learn some new skills with my awesome coach Zeb, and throw myself at the ground in attempts to join the IG #hurricane challenge (I failed to post, but it did get me tumbling again). Fellow circus artists there also opened their homes and hang times to me, which I am forever grateful for. Cannot wait to go back again!
* Kindling Arts Fest presents Spellbound: THIS. SHOW. Written by Tori Keenan-Zelt, directed by Jessika Malone, and choreographed/performed by Alicia Dawn, Brooke Gronemeyer, and myself. Our updated version of "Red Riding Hood" was put together in a very short time, many many bruises (I played two totally different and absolutely acrobatic characters!), and provided a wonderful opportunity for collaboration! So much I could say, but I will let these three photos (by Wesley Duffee-Braun) speak for me:
SO. MUCH. FUN. I know there are rehearsal videos, so hopefully videos from the actual performance will surface so I can share them!
* Everything else: I've been at Skull's performing nearly every weekend! I also performed in The Brass Menagerie; Freaklesque Nashville; Bordello Underground; and LoboFest this year. Created several new costumes, debuted a few new acts, and caught quite a few rock shows....
what's coming up?
Well, glad you asked.
--More Alley Cat Cabaret at Skull's Rainbow Room (if you didn't know, I'm telling you).
--Opened up the doors to collaborate with musicians, particularly the rock 'n' roll kind, and particularly in Nashville (hint hint, ha!). Which brings me to....
--A new Cyr act I'm working on! The act concept was inspired by a local musician's song, and has generously given me permission to use it. Behind the scenes footage of my act will be released once the song is made public, and I'm already planning on where I can perform this contemporary lyrical dance + Cyr. Maybe a music video style release? Hm...
--Halloween Ball at Marathon Music Works on October 26
--Body by Cheese, Whiskey by Corsair on November 3
--Savannah Burlesque Fest in Savannah, GA, December 6-8
With more to come!
Whew! Thank you for reading through this! Looking forward to more adventures in the coming months. <3 Rock on, everyone.
I am beyond thrilled to return to my Northeastern circus home, the New England Center for Circus Arts, at the end of February. The Circus Spectacular is annual fundraiser for NECCA and its outreach programs; I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a backstage volunteer while I was attending the school. Now I get to perform on the beautiful stage for my circus alma mater! Alicia Dawn and I are making this into a road trip from Nashville, so expect to see behind-the-scenes posts on our social media. But for now, pick up your tickets by clicking the photo. And more to come soon!
#circus #necca #cyrwheel #vermont #lovermont #Brattleboro
VIP is already sold out, but tickets are still available! You can catch me at my home base of Nashville, Tennessee, performing a new & improved version of my signature Cyr wheel act "Midnight Messages" at the Music City Burlesque Fifth Annual Cabin Fever Peepshow at Marathon Music Works. Doors open at 8 and don't be late, as my fave sleazy glam blues rockers The Tip are opening for us and I'll be getting down and dirty to their music. MCB has a PACKED show set for you - the most varied cast of burlesque babes, variety vixens, and sideshow swank ever brought together on this Nashville stage. Get your tickets by clicking the poster!
#musiccityburlesque #mcbtcb #nashville #burlesque #circus #cyrwheel #rouecyr #do615 #nashvillenightlife
Kinetic Kristen - Grandmaster of Groove - a rock circus tour de force. Doubling down on rhythm & grace, deftly manipulating hula hoops and the Cyr wheel with fiery charisma and a sly smile.